The Terminal Operating System
(TOS for short) is a complex of tools for planning, monitoring and controlling various types of cargo. TOS system is used for cargo management in ports, container facilities and depots.
The shipping industry carries over 90% of the world’s trade. However, many vendors suffer due to freight rates, rising oil prices and other operational costs. Those who want to move more cargo in higher volumes to get more income have to implement specific TOS software
and computer automated terminal operating systems
. This is the reason why ports and container depots incorporate TOS operating systems
- to improve turnaround times and deal with operational complexities.
Terminal Operating System
enables facilities to utilize their equipment, assets, and workforce more cost-effectively. TOS makes it possible by providing automated cargo management processes, such as berth planning, vessel & yard allocation, crane management, gate control and container handling equipment (CHE) supervision.
In addition to that, TOS streamlines other aspects of cargo management by using computer automated terminal operating systems
and dedicated software. For example, TOS can help with container booking, system security & access control, as well as report generation.
In simpler terms, Terminal Operating System software
allows organizations to know the real-time status of the goods, where it's located, what CHE is involved, and creates custom reports on demand. All of this provides container facilities and vendors with relevant information.
The most apparent advantages of TOS solutions include:
TOS transmit data to the centralized database in the Cloud (via batch synchronization or automated real-time data upload) and support external third-party systems & interfaces (such as radio data terminals, REFCON Reefer Monitoring System, DGPS systems, and other systems).
Some of the technologies
- It helps companies to cut operational costs. TOS helps optimize operations management, cargo deployment, and cut unnecessary resources and equipment from the equation.
- It improves operational efficiency. You can significantly reduce turnaround times and manage information much easier with proper TOS solutions.
- It gives full visibility of operations. Access all necessary data any time and from anywhere. This helps companies plan and make decisions quicker and with less room for errors.
- It improves revenue. TOS software eliminates the risk of user errors and reduces the time it takes to organize cargo. As a result, ports, container terminals and vendors receive more profits.
port Terminal Operating System use include:
Terminal Operating Systems with true real-time capabilities are rare these days. However, using real-time data is essential for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of cargo management.
- Cloud data storage
- Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) software
- LAN (wired and wireless)
- Differential GPS
- Radio-Frequency Identification (RFID)
- Mobile device applications